The Ponce Health Sciences University (PHSU) invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean for the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.
The Dean of the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences (SBBS) will provide energetic and visionary leadership, as well as principled administrative guidance and advocacy for the mission of the School in teaching, research, and public service/outreach. The Dean serves as the Chief academic and administrative officer of the School, reporting directly to the Office of the Chancellor. The Dean has primary responsibility for the school’s academic programs, student learning, specialized and regional accreditation, strategic planning, and School initiatives. The Dean directs the implementation of the School’s strategic plan and is responsible for implementing best practices for the selection, support, and development of the School`s faculty. The Dean is required to serve on special committees or task forces as appropriate, representing their colleagues and the School. The Dean is responsible for the advancement of SBBS and fully participates in developing partnerships that advance the mission of the School. He or she is expected to work closely with alumni and friends of the School to increase the donor count and contributions that support endowments, student scholarships, faculty scholarships, special projects, and research.
The Dean supports faculty research, training, and educational grants from federal and non-federal funding sources. He or she supports the faculty in their goals for teaching and scholarship by allocating funds for professional development and multicultural programming and supports professional development opportunities for staff by working closely with supervisors to ensure the goals of the School and the University are met. The Dean supports the mission and values of the University and guides the faculty, staff, and students in their continued development. The Dean, with the support of the Chancellor`s office and the senior leadership of finance, plans the budget each year and reviews it continuously for financial planning. The Dean will be assisted by the SBBS Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
The Dean for the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences must be able to champion the School’s interests and its future both internally and externally. As such, the Dean is expected to possess the following:
• A Doctoral degree in psychology (Ph.D. or Psy.D.)
• Prior experience in top administrative positions in a School of Psychology (Dean, Associate/ Assistant Dean).
• Fully bilingual (English and Spanish).
• Administrative experience in an accredited academic environment.
• Academic experience with a clear commitment to teaching excellence and student success.
• Experience supporting and strengthening scholarly productivity and grant writing.
• A vision for graduate education in a time of shifting and emerging modalities, including online course delivery and educational technology.
• Leadership qualities that build community, including effective communication, mutual respect, and informed decision-making.
• A proven record of promoting a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture of belonging.
• A commitment to fiscal responsibility, budget management, partnership with financial officers, and budget planning.
• Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated leadership ability to build consensus among faculty and administrators.
• An entrepreneurial mindset regarding program growth and development.
• A talent for building and strengthening community partnerships, both local and global.
• An ability to enhance alumni engagement and support.
• Unwavering support for PHSU’s mission and a vision for integrating the institutional mission into the educational experience and community of the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.
The selected Dean is expected to assume duties by July 1st, 2023.
Applicant screening will begin immediately. The application packet should include a cover letter detailing how the applicant`s credentials and experience meet the needs, responsibilities, and qualifications stated in the position announcement, a written statement addressing the strategic plan for academic a research development of the School for the next five years, a curriculum vitae, and the contact information for three references (who will not be contacted without further correspondence with the applicant).
Candidates must submit their materials no later than April 1st, 2023, to receive full consideration. All required materials must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ponce Health Sciences University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
To apply for this job please visit psm.edu .