Ponce Research Institute
Prostate Cancer Research
Laboratory Technician responsibilities include:
This person will support the laboratory staff by maintaining recruitment logs, sample inventory books and helping with experiments and special projects. Currently, the Principal Investigator, Dr. Jaime Matta, is actively recruiting patients with prostate cancer in two study sites: Dr. Gilberto Ruiz-Deya’s clinical practice and Urocentro del Sur. Both study sites are in Centro Hospitalario San Lucas, Ponce. The Lab Technician should be available to pick up clinical samples when required. He/she will also be responsible for maintaining databases, including the Main Study Data Base, including details from the biological sample (i.e., collection date cell viability, among others). Maintenance of a separate inventory of the clinical samples located at the -80 freezer is also expected.
- Basic hematocrit isolation
- Tissue culture
- Maintenance of laboratory supplies, including stock of inventories, placing purchase orders and verifying receipt.
- Maintains glassware and the stocks of sterile water by picking up, cleaning, washing, and sterilizing.
- Documents information by maintaining daily logs and equipment record books (incubators and freezer).
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading technical publications (optional).
Work Hours & Benefits: This job requires a minimum of 8 hours per day with some flexibility. The job provides a friendly environment, and continuous learning in a stimulating, state-of-the-art research facility. The candidate will be part of an active research team composed of basic and clinical scientists. Basic training will be provided.
Laboratory Technician Skills / Qualifications:
- Able to execute research protocols with close attention to detail
- Chemistry and sterilization techniques
- Equipment calibration
- Biohazard safety
- Able to work as part of a team.
- Communications skills
- Spanish/English fluency (verbal, written)
Education and Experience Requirements:
- An associate or bachelor’s degree in science
- Basic computer knowledge (Word and Excel) and skills in lab information systems is desirable.
- Valid Driver’s License
Interested qualified candidates must send current resume to: